This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5351 / 51°32'6"N
Longitude: -0.954 / 0°57'14"W
OS Eastings: 472648
OS Northings: 182316
OS Grid: SU726823
Mapcode National: GBR C4P.RMB
Mapcode Global: VHDWF.FP02
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Last Amended: 13 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047387
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247139
Location: Rotherfield Greys, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Rotherfield Greys
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Rotherfield Greys
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
6/117 Church of St. Nicholas
09/02/59 (Formerly listed as Church of
Church and chapel. Romanesque, early C17 chapel, restoration in 1865 by W.
Woodman. Red brick base; flint with stone dressing, partly rendered to chapel;
plain tile roof. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, with Knollys chapel to north. C19
studded door to right of centre with gabled flint porch with tile roof. Reset
medieval tiles to floor. Blocked Romanesque doorway to left. C19 paired
lancet to centre and single lancet to right. Knollys chapel projects forward
at left. Polygonal end with central 3-light plate tracery window flanked by
buttresses and with cross-gable above; 2-light plate tracery windows to left
and right returns. West end: Lancet window with quatrefoil window above,
flanked by stopped buttresses. South side: C19 lancet windows except square
window to centre of nave. Bell tower rises from ridge; tile hung base; timber-
frame chamber; tiled spire. Interior: C12 font, square with recessed shafts
with water-leaf and stiff-leaf capitals to corners. Brass to Lord Robert de
Grey of c.1387 in front of altar. Monument in Knollys chapel; of painted
alabaster and marble; recumbent effigies of Sir Frances and Lady Knollys with
kneeling figures of children to sides. On canopy above; Lord William and Lady
Knollys before a prayer desk. C17 stained glass heraldic shields in Knollys
chapel. History: Knollys chapel added by William Knollys, first Earl of Banbury
owner of Greys Court (q.v.) in 1605. Lord Robert de Grey was an earlier owner
of Greys Court.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.734-5; Saint Nicholas Rotherfield Greys,
Guide book, 1981).
Listing NGR: SU7264882316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings