This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5214 / 51°31'17"N
Longitude: -0.9006 / 0°54'2"W
OS Eastings: 476372
OS Northings: 180852
OS Grid: SU763808
Mapcode National: GBR C4Z.F48
Mapcode Global: VHDWN.B0QZ
Entry Name: Harpsden Court
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247097
Location: Harpsden, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Harpsden
Built-Up Area: Henley-on-Thames
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Harpsden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
7/76 Harpsden Court
Country house. Possibly C17 with C18 and C19 alterations. Red brick; rough
cast render to front; plain tile roof; brick stacks. 2 storey and attic, 2
window cross-gable to left, 2-storey porch, 4-window range, 2-window cross
gable to right. Panelled studded door to porch, 4-light 2-row wooden mullion
and transom window to 1st floor with shaped gable above. Cross gable to left;
two 2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground floor; false
circular bulls-eye window to gable. 4-window range to right of porch; three
2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground floor, with 4-light
wooden mullion and transom window to left of centre with gothick
decorative top. 1st floor: 4-light wooden mullion and transom window
with gothick top above that on ground floor; 2-light mullion and transom
window to right. Palladian sash window to right. Cross gable to right; two
2-light wooden mullion and transom windows to ground and first floor.
False circular bulls-eye window to gable. Pedimented dormers to roof, ridge
stack to right. Left hand return: 2 storeys and attic with 3 cross-gables.
Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest. History: described c.
1540 by Leland as house with 2 courtyards.
(Pevsner, N. Buildings of England : Oxfordshire 1979, p.634-5).
Listing NGR: SU7637280852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings