This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7476 / 51°44'51"N
Longitude: -1.1411 / 1°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 459389
OS Northings: 205781
OS Grid: SP593057
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z9.D9W
Mapcode Global: VHCXX.5BLM
Entry Name: Manor House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246989
Location: Wheatley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wheatley
Built-Up Area: Wheatley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wheatley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WHEATLEY HIGH STREET
SP5905 (South side)
7/223 Manor House
Manor house. Probably C16; wing dated 1601. Limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings; old plain-tile roof and brick stacks. H-plan. One storey plus attics
and 2 storeys plus attics. Front of main range has central studded door with
double-ovolo moulded frame. To left, two 4-light wooden mullioned and transomed
windows, and to right, a 4-light wood mullioned window and a 3-light casement,
all with C18 segmental arches above. 3 hipped half dormers with C20 frames.
Right bay is a later additions. Right cross wing has stone mullioned windows of
5,4 and 3 lights in the gable wall, all with ovolo moulding, labels and old
leaded lights. Gable wall of left cross wing has a 2-storey canted bay, with
stone mullioned and transomed windows and a crenellated parapet, and in the
rendered gable, which retains a moulded bargeboard, contains a 3-light casement.
Flanking plaster panels with ornamental borders are inscribed "ANNO/1601" and
"T:A:A:A". Left return wall is altered but has 3 re-set stone mullioned and
transomed windows at first floor. Rear gable retains a 3-light stone mullioned
and transomed window at frist floor. Further studded door with moulded frame
re-set at rear, and a cased lead pump is attached to the rear wall. Interior:
Elaborate intersecting double-ovolo moulded beams in 1601 range, and in ground
floor of main range (probably inserted) to left of former screens passage.
Timber-framed gable and parts of roof structure of former hall survive together
with remains of solar. Several 4-centre arched stone fireplaces: some reset.
Right wing has heavy chamfered spine beams with some chamfered and stopped
joists, and a large open fireplace with brick lining. It may have been a
detached kitchen, later linked to hall range by added bay.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.109 Buildings of England: Oxfordshire; p.838).
Listing NGR: SP5938905781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings