History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horspath, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7397 / 51°44'22"N

Longitude: -1.1738 / 1°10'25"W

OS Eastings: 457141

OS Northings: 204879

OS Grid: SP571048

Mapcode National: GBR 8Z7.XQJ

Mapcode Global: VHCXW.LJSP

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246920

Location: Horspath, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Horspath

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Horspath

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Horspath

Listing Text

HORSPATH CHURCH ROAD
SP50SE (West side)
4/153 Church of St. Giles
18/07/63

GV II*


Church. Late C12, C13, C15 and C19, restored 1852 by H.J. Underwood. Limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; tower and chancel; ashlar; imitation stone slate
and sheet metal roofs. 4-bay nave with chancel, south transept, south aisle and
porch, west tower and vestry and organ chamber opposite transept. Chancel was
rebuilt in 1840 with 2 square-headed windows each side (some said to be re-used)
and a 3-light east window with Perpendicular-style tracery. C13 south transept
has a 2-light south window with plate tracery and a trefoil headed light to
east. Parapetted nave has projecting buttresses and a central porch sheltering a
door of c.1200. The porch has oak dog gates. C19 window to left. C15 crenellated
tower has a 4-centre arched west doorway with recessed spandrels and label with
lozenge stops. Above is a 3-light traceried window and to south a stair turret.
Small arched belfry openings in rectangular surrounds. North wall of nave and
vestry of 1852 in Geometrical Decorated style. Interior: Transitional nave
arcade with masonry piers and minimal moulded imposts; the western arch rebuilt
as a half arch. The Perpendicular tower arch is finely moulded and has large
amusing figures terminating the hood mould. All roofs C19. Furnishings C19
except for fine Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with inlaid pictorial panels with
perspective arches. Medieval stained glass includes 2 figures of c.1280, and
many C15 and C16 figures and fragments. Painted window north of nave of 1740
said to be by Price of York. Monuments include a brass, an oval monument of
c.1690 with a frame of fruit and flowers, and a late baroque monument to James
Salisbury (died 1770) with scrolls and cherubs.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.655-6).


Listing NGR: SP5714104879

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.