History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Helen

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiddington-with-Albury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7406 / 51°44'26"N

Longitude: -1.0519 / 1°3'6"W

OS Eastings: 465557

OS Northings: 205081

OS Grid: SP655050

Mapcode National: GBR B0Q.YNY

Mapcode Global: VHCXY.QJ70

Entry Name: Church of St Helen

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047466

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246929

Location: Tiddington-with-Albury, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Tiddington-with-Albury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Albury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Worminghall

Listing Text

TIDDINGTON-WITH-ALBURY ALBURY
SP60NE
3/162 Church of St. Helen
18/07/63

GV II


Small church. 1830. By Thomas Rickman for Hon. Frederick Bertie. Limestone
ashlar; C20 artificial stone-slate roofs. Chancel, nave and vestry.
Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel has single-light side windows and 3-light
east window under a triangular recess; 3-bay nave has 2-light side windows and a
shallow stone-roofed south porch to left of centre. Some windows have simple
tracery and all have heavy hood moulds with head stops. West end has small
arched doorway, 3 plain lancets in the gable, and a square stone belfry with a
stone spirelet decorated with lucarnes and a cross finial. Small lean-to vestry
to north of chancel. Interior: Roof has queen-post trusses with curved braces
and pendants. Norman tub front with chevron moulding. Early C20 stained glass.
Ledger to Mrs. Jane Nares (died 1738) with oval armorial relief.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.14; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.419-20).


Listing NGR: SP6555705081

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.