This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7216 / 51°43'17"N
Longitude: -1.0901 / 1°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 462950
OS Northings: 202937
OS Grid: SP629029
Mapcode National: GBR B12.16N
Mapcode Global: VHCXY.2Z2K
Entry Name: Schoolhouse and Attached Infants School
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047492
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246890
Location: Great Milton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Milton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Milton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT MILTON HIGH STREET
SP60SW (West side)
5/124 Schoolhouse and attached
18/07/63 Infants School
(Formerly listed as Great
Schoolhouse and attached school. Early C17 and 1854. Coursed limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings; old plain tile roof with brick stacks. H-plan. 2 storeys
plus attics. C17 range to left projects to front and rear with stone gable
parapets, ornamental kneelers and apex finials. Front gable has stone-mullioned
windows of 4, 3 and 2 lights, all with concave chamfers and labels. Entrance in
return to right has a studded door with strap hinges in a 4-centre arched
doorway with recessed spandrels and label. 2-light mullioned window above has
diamond-leaded lights. Externally-C19 centre range of one bay has 3-light
mullioned windows and a 2-light gabled roof dormer. School room range to right
has matching front gable (slightly lower) with a large stone mullioned and
transomed window. Arched doorway in left return facing schoolhouse door. Very
large stack to left of centre with 5 tall shafts set alternately straight and
diagonal. Further single-shaft stack to right of centre with tiled bellcote.
Left gable wall has further C17 mullioned windows to 3 floors with single-storey
range projecting to rear. Interior: Several 4-centre arched stone fireplaces;
beams with elaborate double-ovolo mouldings, some intersecting; dogleg stair to
attics with winders; timber-framed partitions; butt-purlin roof. Inscription on
schoolroom wing "HILTON/NATIONAL/SCHOOL/1854".
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p. 118; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.622).
Listing NGR: SP6292302945
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings