This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.738 / 51°44'16"N
Longitude: -1.0352 / 1°2'6"W
OS Eastings: 466719
OS Northings: 204809
OS Grid: SP667048
Mapcode National: GBR B0R.WNK
Mapcode Global: VHDVF.0KLZ
Entry Name: The Bakery
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047516
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246842
Location: Great Haseley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Haseley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Haseley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT HASELEY RYCOTE
6/76 The Bakery
House. Early C16, remodelled C20. Diaper brickwork with stone quoins, and
coursed squared limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof; Double-depth plan. 2
storeys. 3-window brick entrance front breaks forward in 2 bays to right and has
C20 casements. Return wall to left is of old stonework. The remainder of the
house is probably C20. A part, possibly the bakehouse, of the mansion probably
rebuilt after 1521 by Sir John Heron, Treasurer to Henry VIII, and/or after 1539
by Sir John Williams, later Baron Williams of Thame. The house is shown in views
of c.1695 by Winstanley and of 1714 by Kip. It was burned down in 1745.
(J. Salmon, Rycote Chapel, MPBW Guidebook, 1967).
Listing NGR: SP6671904809
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings