This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7109 / 51°42'39"N
Longitude: -1.0687 / 1°4'7"W
OS Eastings: 464445
OS Northings: 201766
OS Grid: SP644017
Mapcode National: GBR B13.LNB
Mapcode Global: VHCY4.F8D7
Entry Name: Tithe Barn at Church Farm and Attached Wall at the Stables
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246775
Location: Great Haseley, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Great Haseley
Built-Up Area: Great Haseley
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Haseley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
GREAT HASELEY GREAT HASELEY
5/9 Tithe barn at Church Farm and
18/07/63 attached wall at The Stables
Tithe barn. c.1400, Six-bay range with porch, formerly probably 10-bay with 2
porches. Limestone rubble with squared dressings; old plain-tile roof. Front has
deep buttresses each with 2 weathered off-sets and there are blocked slits to
each bay. Porch in third bay from right has a wide entrance with 3-centred stone
arch of 2 chamfered orders supported by buttresses beneath a stone gable
retaining traces of a parapet. Return wall to left of entrance contains a
subsidiary door under a chamfered 2-centred stone arch. A further full-height
entrance has been inserted between the buttresses of the second bay from the
left. Right gable wall has 2 buttresses and a weatherboarded gable. Rear wall
retains 5 buttresses plus a later raking buttress. Half-hipped roof. Rear wall
continues to left in the garden of The Stables (q.v.), terminating in a buttress
of the original left gable wall. It contains 3 or possibly 4 blocked slits.
Interior: Not inspected but noted as being aisled with arched windbraces. A
sketch of the barn's original form is shown on an estate map of 1701 by the
cartographer Joel Gascoyne.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.620).
Listing NGR: SP6445101763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings