History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cromwells House

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Marston, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7765 / 51°46'35"N

Longitude: -1.239 / 1°14'20"W

OS Eastings: 452599

OS Northings: 208918

OS Grid: SP525089

Mapcode National: GBR 8YR.KKJ

Mapcode Global: VHCXN.GMV0

Entry Name: Cromwells House

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246662

Location: Old Marston, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Old Marston

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

MARSTON MILL LANE
SP50NW (East side)
Old Marston
4/142 No.17 (Cromwells House)
18/07/63

GV II


Manor house, now house. Early/mid C17, possibly partly earlier, extended early
C20. Coursed squared limestone rubble with timber lintels; old plain-tile roof
with brick gable stacks. 2-unit through-passage plan. 2 storeys plus attics.
2-window front, with chamfered plinth, has central triangular-headed doorway
with label and .3-light leaded casements at ground and first floors. The 2 gabled
roof dormers with canted bay windows on moulded cills and brackets do not appear
on early views of he house. To left, set back, and to rear are C20 buff-brick
extensions. Interior: oak screen, to left of passage, with ovolo-moulded framing
and Tudor-arched doorway with foliage-carved spandrels; stone arched fireplace
with recessed spandrels and cast-iron fireback of 1649; re-set (4-centre arched
doorway with recessed spandrels and ribbed oak door. Part of the Manor house
noted as having been built by Unton Croke and used as Fairfax's headquarters
during the seige of Oxford in 1645. The treaty for the surrender of Oxford was
signed there in 1646. See also No.15 Mill Lane (Manor House).
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.215).


Listing NGR: SP5259908918

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.