History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stanton St. John, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7808 / 51°46'50"N

Longitude: -1.1639 / 1°9'50"W

OS Eastings: 457776

OS Northings: 209453

OS Grid: SP577094

Mapcode National: GBR 8YW.6L6

Mapcode Global: VHCXP.SH1Q

Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047578

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246688

Location: Stanton St. John, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanton St. John

Built-Up Area: Stanton St John

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanton St John

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Beckley

Listing Text

STANTON ST. JOHN POUND LANE
SP50NE (East side)
5/168 Manor Farmhouse
18/07/63

GV II*


Farmhouse. Possibly C14, and early C17. Limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof
with stone and brick stacks. 2-unit range plus L-plan addition. 2 storeys plus
attic. Early range has central door, with traces of relieving arch. flanked by
large C18 casements, at ground and first floors, and has a blocked single-light
window with dressed stone surround. Middle range, projecting to left, has
similar blocked light and remains of stone-mullioned windows in wall facing
right; end wall, with half-hipped gable, has chamfered plinth which steps up and
continues along front of range lying parallel to early range, containing 3-light
ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned stair window. Gable end, facing left has similar
window. Left end of early range has first-floor window with pointed arch and
hood mould. 2 large projecting stone chimneys, with many weathered offsets, to
rear wall of early range, one with 2 diagonal brick shafts; similar stack on
rear gable wall of middle range. Various rear and gable outshuts. Interior:
Early range has chamfered pointed-segmental rear arch to doorway. Middle range
has C17 oak-panelled room including fine overmantel with arched panels beneath
carved frieze of intersecting lunettes between shallow consoles supporting a
dentil cornice; fireplace has remains of an earlier wider fireplace with moulded
stone surround; wave-moulded cross beam. Roof of middle range has central truss
with arched braces to collar. Mid C17 stair has newel finials, very heavy turned
balusters and hanging Tudor arches between pendants, Roof to early range is
C18/C19. Noted has having been extensively repaired in 1660. The house may have
been the manor house.
V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol,V, p,28S; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p,785),


Listing NGR: SP5776809450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.