History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House and Attached Front Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Marston, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7765 / 51°46'35"N

Longitude: -1.2388 / 1°14'19"W

OS Eastings: 452614

OS Northings: 208919

OS Grid: SP526089

Mapcode National: GBR 8YR.KMQ

Mapcode Global: VHCXN.GMY0

Entry Name: Manor House and Attached Front Wall

Listing Date: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047610

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246661

Location: Old Marston, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Old Marston

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marston

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

MARSTON MILL LANE
SP50NW (East side)
Old Marston
4/141 No.15 (Manor House) and
attached front wall

GV II


Manor house. Early C19, partly earlier. Limestone ashlar front and coursed
squared rubble; old plain-tile roofs with stone stacks. Probably central-stair
plan. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front, with plinth and storey band, has
central door, with rectangular overlight, and 12-pane sashes. Shallow-pitched
roof has flanking stacks with moulded caps and a lateral stack rising from the
rear slope. Single-storey rubble and tiled range to right. Parallel hip-roofed
rear range and rear wing are probably earlier and have casements. Interior not
inspected. Low front wall, with moulded coping, has square corner piers and
returns to front of house. May incorporate part of the Manor house noted as
having been built by Unton Croke and used as Fairfax's headquarters during the
seige of Oxford in 1645. The Treaty for the Surrender of Oxford was signed there
in 1646. See also No.17 Mill Lane (Cromwells House).
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.215).


Listing NGR: SP5261408919

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.