This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7632 / 51°45'47"N
Longitude: -1.1576 / 1°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 458232
OS Northings: 207504
OS Grid: SP582075
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z2.G4J
Mapcode Global: VHCXP.WYC6
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246584
Location: Forest Hill with Shotover, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX33
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Forest Hill with Shotover
Built-Up Area: Forest Hill
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Forest Hill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FOREST HILL WITH SHOTOVER MAIN STREET
SP50NE (North side)
5/64 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. C12 and c.1200, partly rebuilt early C17, extended 1852. North aisle by
Gilbert Scott. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roofs.
Chancel, 3-bay nave with north aisle, south porch; organ chamber to north of
chancel. Chancel has 2 lancets to south and one to north, c.1200, and a triplet
to east by J.H. Parker. South wall of nave is probably early C17 and has a
round-headed window, to west of the porch, and a 2-light Decorated-style window,
probably by Scott. Early C17 porch has a small window with ovolo-moulded stone
surround and a gable parapet with projecting kneelers. The outer arch is a
re-set doorway of c.1200 with roll and keel mouldings to arch and 2 pairs of
attached shafts with waterleaf capitals. The gabled west bell turret has 3
pointed openings and may be C13; it is supported by 2 massive later buttresses
flanking a 3-light traceried C15 window. North aisle and vestry/organ chamber in
Geometrical-Decorated style, has traceried 2-light windows to east and west.
Interior: Chancel side walls have continuous strings at sill level and around
the semi-circular heads of the splays. The east window has elaborate rear arches
with freestanding shafts. To south is a round-arched recess and column piscina
beside two C19 stone seats. C12 chancel arch is plain except for heavy imposts,
North arcade of nave is in early-Decorated style with octagonal piers and there
is stencilled decoration in the spandrels. Similar decoration and texts above
the chancel arch may be C17. The nave has a fine 7-canted roof with a collar
purlin supported by 4 octagonal crown posts with moulded capitals and bases. The
tie beams have ovolo mouldings and soffit channels, and one is dated 1630. The
7-canted chancel roof is probably contemporary. Font, pulpit and fittings are
C19. Glass in chancel by T. Willement, and in north aisle by Holland of Warwick,
1852. Wall monument,in coloured marbles to Ann Heywood (died 1756), and several
plainer C18 memorials.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp,605-6).
Listing NGR: SP5823207504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings