History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Oak Farmhouse and Attached Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Beckley and Stowood, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7877 / 51°47'15"N

Longitude: -1.1856 / 1°11'8"W

OS Eastings: 456267

OS Northings: 210210

OS Grid: SP562102

Mapcode National: GBR 8YN.T89

Mapcode Global: VHCXP.DBKC

Entry Name: Royal Oak Farmhouse and Attached Stables

Listing Date: 3 November 1980

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047640

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246528

Location: Beckley and Stowood, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX3

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Beckley and Stowood

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Beckley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Beckley

Listing Text

BECKLEY AND STOWOOD B4027
SP51SE (North side)
Stowood
2/8 Royal Oak Farmhouse and
03/11/80 attached stables
(Formerly listed as Royal Oak
Farmhouse and attached barn)

II


Farmhouse. Early/mid C17, extended C18. Limestone rubble with squared quoins and
timber lintels; thatched roof with brick ridge stacks. 2-unit lobby-entry plan,
extended. 2 storeys. 4-window front incorporates original front, with entrance
to right of centre and flanking 3-light casements at ground and first floors.
Single-bay addition, to right, has 3-light casements, and a further ridge stack;
2-unit stable extension, to left, has one inserted casement and a loft door in
the gable wall. Half-hipped roof. Rear is irregular with an outshut to the
stable and a small rubble and tiled wing. Datestone on gable of stable inscribed
"1813/WC". Interior: Large open fireplace with chamfered and stopped bressumer
and moulded stone jambs; massive central stack with flanking winder stair rising
from lobby. Formerly the Royal Oak Inn.


Listing NGR: SP5626710210

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.