History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The College

A Grade II Listed Building in Littlemore, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7222 / 51°43'19"N

Longitude: -1.2211 / 1°13'15"W

OS Eastings: 453902

OS Northings: 202890

OS Grid: SP539028

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZC.XTP

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.SZB5

Entry Name: The College

Listing Date: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246494

Location: Littlemore, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Civil Parish: Littlemore

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Littlemore

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Headington

Listing Text

SP 5302 LITTLEMORE COLLEGE LANE
(North side)
15/97 The College.

- II

Home of religious community,now cottages and museum. Late C18/early C19
converted c.1842 from farm buildings for J.H. (later Cardinal) Newman.
Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with brick ridge
stacks. L-plan on 2 sides of a walled garden. One-storey entrance range has
wide through passage under a weatherboarded gable. To right are five 2-light
casements and a door, with 10 similar windows to left, some converted from
doors. All have ashlar quoins and segmental arches. Range returning to left on
Cowley Road has four 2-light casements and a door, and the furthermost bay has
a 3-light casement beneath a brick upper storey. The rear of the entrance range
has a renewed timber loggia. Interior: Newman's room has a brick floor and a
stone fireplace with basket grate, and is entered through an internal
matchboard porch leading also to his adjacent oratory where he was received
into the Roman Catholic Church in c.1845.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.212-3).


Listing NGR: SP5390202890

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.