This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7167 / 51°42'59"N
Longitude: -1.212 / 1°12'43"W
OS Eastings: 454535
OS Northings: 202285
OS Grid: SP545022
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZL.6DT
Mapcode Global: VHCY1.Y34V
Entry Name: Minchery Farmhouse
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246509
Location: Littlemore, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX4
Civil Parish: Littlemore
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandford-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 50 SW SANDFORD-ON-THAMES
1/109 Minchery Farmhouse.
Farmhouse, now country club. C15 dormitory range of Littlemore Priory
reconstructed c.1600. Limestone rubble with squared dressings; old plain-tile
roof with stone and brick ridge stacks. Single range running north-south with
stair tower on west. 2 storeys plus attics. 5-window entrance front (west) has
central doorway with 4-centre moulded stone arch and label. To right a C20 3-
light window with a C20 stone-mullioned window beyond. Between, a single light
at intermediate height in line with stone stack, with ovolo-moulded surround.
At first floor, mullioned windows of 2,3 and 2 lights, only that over the door
having its original ovolo-moulded stonework. Left from the door is a gabled
stair tower of 2 storeys with C19 window openings under stone segmental
arches. To left is a further bay with re-modelled openings and a secondary
entrance. A single-bay 2-storey extension from the north gable wall is
probably late C18. The east front has at first floor a row of 5 evenly spaced
single lights. They are probably C15 and have trefoil and cinquefoil heads in
concave-chamfered rectangular surrounds. To right is a 4-light mullioned
window, also concave-chamfered. At ground floor is a doorway, opposite the
main entrance, with moulded 4-centre arched head. To left is a C15 window with
2 trefoil-headed lights and beyond a single light with chamfered stone
surround. To right a mutilated mullioned window of 2 chamfered lights and
another C15 window of 2 trefoiled-headed lights. Bay to extreme left has C20
altered openings. South gable wall with brick stack was probably rebuilt in
C18. Interior: Now much altered, but has several chamfered and stopped beams
and 2-stone moulded Tudor-arched fireplaces at first floor. The early C17 dog-
leg stair rising to the attics has pierced flat balusters and lantern finials
and pendants. Wooden 3-centre arches with carved spandrels over the flights.
The 7-bay roof has 8 heavy queen-post trusses, each with collars clasping
purlins, the top collar being cambered. Views of about 1826 show mullioned
windows throughout, roughly in the present arrangement, but the west front has
the remains of a stone porch, and also has a Gothic-arched doorway to right of
the single light former stair window.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, pp.267-8; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp.689-90:
W.A. Pantin, "Minchery Farm, Littlemore", Oxoniensia Vol 35 (1970), pp.19-26;
National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SP5453502285
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings