This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7189 / 51°43'7"N
Longitude: -1.1436 / 1°8'37"W
OS Eastings: 459254
OS Northings: 202584
OS Grid: SP592025
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZN.5NT
Mapcode Global: VHCY3.4284
Entry Name: Garden Wall of Denton House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 25 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246410
Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5902 CUDDESDON AND DENTON DENTON
9/22 Garden wall of Denton House.
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Denton
House with garden wall and
gateway to road)
Garden wall. Late C17/early C18 and mid C18 with mid-C17 features.
Limestone rubble with some ashlar dressings and brickwork. Earlier section
runs from north of the house along part of the east side and around the north
and west sides of the garden. It is 2.5 to 3m high and has a tapering coursed-
rubble coping. Set into the wall are Gothic Survival windows of c.1665 by the
mason John Jackson, brought from Brasenose College, Oxford in 1844-5. On the
north is a large 5-light window with oval wheel tracery under a pointed arch,
formerly the east window of the chapel. On the west are 6 round-headed
windows of cusped lights from the library. The south wall has a flat coping.
Immediately south of the house begins a mid-C18 section which returns
northwards to the front. It is of banded rubble and ashlar with a brick
lining in Flemish bond. Opposite the main (south) front of the house, also
immediately north in the east wall, are mid-C18 doorways with 3-centre
arched heads and moulded architraves with key-blocks. The main gateway in the
east wall, immediately south of the house, is probably late C17. It has a
3-centred arch in a rectangular surround with key-block and imposts which
continue over flanking pilasters; above is an open segmental pediment with
a central cartouche and pedestal.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, p.106; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp564-5
and pp,106-7 for Brasenose College.)
Listing NGR: SP5925402584
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings