History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Garsington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7133 / 51°42'48"N

Longitude: -1.1587 / 1°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 458220

OS Northings: 201958

OS Grid: SP582019

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZN.FW4

Mapcode Global: VHCY2.V6SD

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246442

Location: Garsington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Garsington

Built-Up Area: Garsington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Garsington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SF 5801 GARSINGTON SOUTHEND
(West side)
11/54 Manor House
18/07/63
GV II*
Manor House. Early C17, possibly earlier, re-modelled late C17 probably for
the Wickham family. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; old
plain-tile roof and stone stacks with brick shafts. Double-pile plan. 2
storeys plus attics. Main range has symmetrical 7-window front (north).
Central round-headed doorway with moulded architrave and plain key-block under
wooden segmental hood supported on consoles has, each side, windows of 2, 3 and
2 leaded lights, all with concave-chamfered mullions and 4-centre arched heads,
linked by a continuous label; similar arrangement above with central
single-light window and no label; 3 rendered gabled roof-dormers with 3-light
wooden casements. Roof rises from a stone eaves-cove and is flanked by massive
stacks and gable parapets with console kneelers and ball finials. Lower 2-
storey flanking wings, set flush, have similar 2-light windows at first floor,
gable parapets to M-shaped roofs and are slightly later. Rear (south front)
similar but with rows of 4 single lights flanked by 4-light windows at ground
floor and by 3-light windows at first floor; 4 irregularly-spaced 2-light
basement windows set in the plinth. Lower bay to left with similar windows of
3 and 4 lights is probably C18. One-storey C20 kitchen wing behind. East
front includes a stone doorway with a rectangular moulded surround under an
oval window. Roofs to main block surround a square lead flat with a central
timber-framed stair turret under a tiled domed-pyramid roof. Interior:
Right of entrance is former kitchen with a very wide fireplace under a
3-centred stone arch. Two C17 oak-panelled drawing-rooms with Tudor-arched
moulded stone fireplaces; with heavily-moulded beams forming a 6-panel
ceiling with a dentil frieze. Upstairs are further Tudor-arched fireplaces,
several heavy door-frames with moulded chamfer-stops and 2 rooms with full
height C18 fielded panelling and moulded cornices. C17 oak dog-leg stair
rising to attics has heavy turned balusters and lantern pendants and finials.
At ground floor the newel is continuous and forms an Ionic column flanked
by 3-centred arches. Attached to the east wing on a walled terrace is a
stone and tiled Italianate loggia of c.1920 by Philip Tylden for Philip and
Lady Ottoline Morrell. The south-facing front has a raised centre of 3 arches
on Doric columns flanked by terms set against rustic pilasters terminating in
scrolls and stone pineapple finials; hipped roof behind parapet; 3 oval
windows in rear wall. The stone-paved terrace is supported by a curving stone
wall with a double flight of steps flanking a central niche with mask set over
a stone basin. Right of the terrace is a pair of ashlar gatepiers with
entablature and pineapple finials. Return wall to right has 2 shell niches
with stone figures - a standing draped female and a nude male with lyre and
quiver. D H Lawrence, Lytton Strachey , Aldous Huxley, Siegfried Sassoon and
Bertrand Russell were all frequent visitors during the Morrells celebrated
occupancy (1915 - 28).
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, p.136; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, pp611-2;
R. Ingrams, Garsington Manor, (privately printed)


Listing NGR: SP5822001958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.