History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School and Attached Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Garsington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.716 / 51°42'57"N

Longitude: -1.1605 / 1°9'37"W

OS Eastings: 458090

OS Northings: 202254

OS Grid: SP580022

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZN.7F1

Mapcode Global: VHCY2.T4TB

Entry Name: School and Attached Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 8 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047693

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246455

Location: Garsington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Garsington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Garsington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 5802 GARSINGTON THE HILL
(West side)
8/67 School and attached
08/02/77 schoolhouse
GV II

School and attached schoolhouse. 1840 and slightly later. Coursed
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof with stone stacks.
Schoolhouse is flanked by classrooms forming cross-wings; later classroom
extension to left in line with main range. Tudor gothic style. House has
central 2-light window flanked by Tudor-arched doors; two 2-light gabled
dormers over with central plaque commemorating foundation. Gable walls of
cross-wings, breaking slightly to front and rear, have large 3-light windows
under slit vents. Extension has Tudor-arched door to front. All openings have
labels and windows are stone-mullioned with 4-centre arched heads and
contain small-pane sashes; gables have parapets and kneelers. 2 symmetrically
placed stacks of 4 octagonal shafts with moulded caps, the right stack now
shortened; further single shaft rising from roof-slope of extension. Interior
not inspected. The building occupies a central site in the village.


Listing NGR: SP5809002254

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.