History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chippinghurst Manor House and Attached Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Cuddesdon and Denton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.7064 / 51°42'22"N

Longitude: -1.1313 / 1°7'52"W

OS Eastings: 460126

OS Northings: 201203

OS Grid: SP601012

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZP.W8V

Mapcode Global: VHCY3.BCTR

Entry Name: Chippinghurst Manor House and Attached Garden Walls

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047707

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246389

Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

3/1 Chippinghurst Manor House
18/07/63 and attached garden walls
- II

Manor house. Late C16, reconstructed and extended 1937 by Fielding Dodd for
James McDougall. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins; plain-tile
roof with brick stacks. U-plan. 2 storeys. Main entrance in south wing is
flanked by projecting east and west wings forming north-facing court. C16
pyramid-roofed 3-storey turret in south-east angle has a 2-course stone
weathering at storey height and, in the top stage, a leaded oak-frame window
with 3 internal diamond mullions. Except for the adjacent chimney-stack with
diagonal shafts and a blocked single-light window, both in the east wing, the
remainder of the work facing the court is C20. The east front, the details of
which are copied throughout, has a moulded plinth stone eaves-cove and ashlar
storey-band, and forms a range of four 4-light windows with, at first floor, a
single light window between the pair to left of centre. Ground-floor windows
have labels and the sills of the 2 windows to left of centre have been
lowered. The 4-centre arched doorway to right is concealed by a stone and
tiled porch with a similar doorway under a label. The porch gable has a
parapet with console kneelers and an obscured datestone. The gable walls of
the range have projecting stacks: to left with old brick diagonal shafts and
an ornamental lead sun dial; to right beside a C16 two-light stone-mullioned
window. Interior: Drawing room in east wing has restored Tudor-arched stone
fireplaces with moulded surrounds. Generally extensively re-modelled.
Extending from the east front are stone walls: to right incorporating a C16/17
four centre arched doorway; to left with doorway to walled garden on the south
side of the house. Walled garden has C18 brick walls in Flemish bond with flat
stone copings. Brick piers to south have moulded stone cornices and C20 wrought
iron gates. JamesMcDougall was the inventor of self-raising flour.
(V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol V).

Listing NGR: SP6012601203

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.