History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Peter and St Paul at Cuddesdon House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cuddesdon and Denton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.724 / 51°43'26"N

Longitude: -1.1321 / 1°7'55"W

OS Eastings: 460047

OS Northings: 203163

OS Grid: SP600031

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZH.W1T

Mapcode Global: VHCXX.BXCS

Entry Name: Chapel of St Peter and St Paul at Cuddesdon House

Listing Date: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246390

Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 6003 CUDDESDON AND DENTON CUDDESDON
6/2 Chapel of SS. Peter and Paul
at Cuddesdon House
- II

Chapel. 1846. By Benjamin Ferrey for Bishop Samuel Wilberforce. Coursed
squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; artificial stone slate roof.
3-bay plan. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. West wall has two 2-
light windows flanking a central buttress with a stone bell-cote on the gable.
Three 2-light windows in the north wall separated by buttresses, and in the
east wall a 3-light window with a quatrefoil in the gable. The south wall,
which has been altered, abutted part of the demolished Bishops Palace. All
windows have hood-moulds with carved heads as stops. Interior: Arch-braced
roof with curved wind-braces, and oak screen to ante-chapel with reticulated
tracery. West windows have armorial glass by Thomas Willement given by Queen
Victoria, The Prince Consort and the Archbishops of York and Canterbury.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, p.101; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.565)


Listing NGR: SP6004703167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.