This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7244 / 51°43'27"N
Longitude: -1.1339 / 1°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 459918
OS Northings: 203206
OS Grid: SP599032
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZH.VHW
Mapcode Global: VHCXX.9XDG
Entry Name: Ripon College
Listing Date: 19 January 1973
Last Amended: 25 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 246397
Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 5903 CUDDESDON AND DENTON CUDDESDON
5/9 Ripon College.
19/01/73 (Formerly listed as Cuddesdon
Theological College. 1853-4 and 1873-8, extended 1904 and later. By G.E.
Street; extension by Spencer Slingsby Stallwood. Squared coursed limestone
rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof with crested ridge and stone
stacks. Built on the west, then north and finally south sides of the entrance
court. The 4-bay main range, in French Gothic style is of 2 storeys plus
attics and has a projecting lateral stack flanked by gabled dormers with
bracketed half-hipped roofs below which the irregular fenestration is grouped
at each floor. Octagonal corner-turret to right. Left bay is obscured by
the 1904 wing in Tudor Gothic style. To right is a short 2-storey range with
a 3-bay traceried arcade and, at first floor, a large oriel window with moulded
corbelling rising from a respond and a tall hipped roof . To right is a 3
storey cross-wing with a shingle covered bellcote on the roof. A rose window in
the gable is the east window of the former chapel. The Gothic-arched entrance
is in this block. Adjacent, and forming the north side of the court is Street's
later range. The first floor chapel has a 3-light east window with Geometrical
tracery and 2-light side windows. Groups of 3 and 4 trefoil-headed lancets to
the ground-floor hall with episcopal arms on the gable-wall. A corresponding
range to the west of the main block is of 2 storeys plus attics and has 3 high
gabled dormers and an archway at the junction leading to a through passage with
ribbed vault. A 2-storey domestic range runs northwards. Interior: The chapel
is reported as having painted panelled ceiling and stained glass, the remains
of a decorative scheme of 1875-7 by Clayton and Bell. Not inspected. The fore-
court is enclosed on the east by a low stone wall with tapered coping, and a
buttressed pointed entrance arch with gablet and foliated finial on the top
coping. The College was Street's first important work.
(V.C.H. Oxfordshire V, p.101; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.563-4)
Listing NGR: SP5991803206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings