History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cuddesdon and Denton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7222 / 51°43'19"N

Longitude: -1.1325 / 1°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 460023

OS Northings: 202965

OS Grid: SP600029

Mapcode National: GBR 8ZH.VYK

Mapcode Global: VHCXX.BZ54

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 25 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047717

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246401

Location: Cuddesdon and Denton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Cuddesdon and Denton

Built-Up Area: Cuddesdon

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cuddesdon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cuddesdon

Listing Text

SP 60 SW CUDDESDON AND DENTON CUDDESDON
3/13 Manor House
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Manor
Farmhouse)
GV II

Manor house. Late C17 and early C19. Limestone ashlar and rubble with
ashlar dressings; old plain-tile roof and brick stacks. L plan, extended.
2 storeys plus attic. Ashlar 5-window front, said to have been added in
1805, has central 6-panel door and sashes to 3 floors, full height and wider at
ground floor, with first-floor plat-band and plain parapet. Projecting stack
on left gable-wall. Right gable-wall, rear, and rear wing to left have gable
parapets with bracket kneelers and pairs of cross windows or their remains.
Surrounds have roll-mouldings to head and sides. Further wing of rubble with
timber lintels projects to left from rear wing, and in the angle with the gable
of the main range is a C18 semi-octagonal stair tower with moulded corbelling
at the eaves. Single-storey service wings entered fruther to left and rear.
Interior: Two ground floor rooms have fielded panelling and 2 stairs have C18
turned balusters. A late C17 stair with winders and turned balusters rises
from first floor to attics. The roof to the main block masks the surviving
double-gabled roof with central flat which has 2 rows of butt purlins. The
house is said to have been rebuilt after the Civil War by a former Solicitor
General to Charles II.
(V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol V, p.101).


Listing NGR: SP6002302968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.