History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14,16 and 18 and Attached Front Walls and Railings the Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6446 / 51°38'40"N

Longitude: -1.1638 / 1°9'49"W

OS Eastings: 457957

OS Northings: 194305

OS Grid: SU579943

Mapcode National: GBR 90F.SQB

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.SX3N

Entry Name: 14,16 and 18 and Attached Front Walls and Railings the Manor House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 24 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248137

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER MANOR FARM ROAD
SU5794 (East side)
5/106 No.12 (The Manor House) and
18/07/63 Nos.14,16 and 18 and attached
front walls and railings
(Formerly listed as Manor
House, Queen Street)

GV II

Manor house, now house and flats. Early C17, remodelled and extended C18, c.1800
and early C19. Stucco walls; old plain-tile and Welsh-slate roofs with brick
stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys plus attics. 4-window front of main range
has Gothic glazing bars, stucco label moulds and a crenellated parapet; the
windows are sashes at first floor and casements at ground floor. The doorway, to
left of centre, has a crenellated porch with 4-centre arched entrance. Hipped
roof. The parapet returns to right, forming a pediment over an arched
first-floor window. To left, is a 3-storey hipped-roofed service wing of about
1800, now 3 flats. Parallel rear range is probably early C19 and has a
shallow-pitched hipped slate roof on a symmetrical 3-window arrangement with
12-pane first-floor sashes and a doorway, in a trellis porch, flanked by canted
bay windows. Interior: room to left of entrance has intersecting heavy
ovolo-moulded beams and a fireplace with a chamfered segmental stole arch. Front
courtyard is partly enclosed by a C19 brick wall and iron railings and gates,
with a gas lamp on one gatepost.


Listing NGR: SU5795794305

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.