History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House and Attached Garden Wall to Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6419 / 51°38'30"N

Longitude: -1.1595 / 1°9'34"W

OS Eastings: 458257

OS Northings: 194015

OS Grid: SU582940

Mapcode National: GBR 90M.1NW

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.VZCP

Entry Name: Manor House and Attached Garden Wall to Rear

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248143

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER OVERY LANE
SU59SE (North side)
Overy
3/112 Manor House and attached
18/07/63 garden wall to rear
(Formerly listed as Overy
Manor House)

GV II

Manor house. 1712 on datestone; extended early C19. Red brick with flared
headers and some coursed clunch rubble; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks.
Double-depth lobby-entry plan. 2 storeys plus attics. 5-window front range, with
stepped brick plinth, storey band and moulded wood cornice, has, to right of
centre, a 6-panel door, with architrave frame below canopy ornamented with key
decoration and supported on console brackets; to right is a large canted bay
window, and to left are two 3-light casements under segmental arches. At first
floor are 3 corresponding 3-light casements plus 2 single-light windows. To
right of that over the door is a recessed lozenge painted with "D/WH/1712". The
3 gabled roof dormers have C19 ornamental bargeboards and there are stacks in
line with the entrance and to the left gable. Part of the left gable wall and
the parallel rear range are rubble with brick dressings and have further
casements. All windows have leaded lights. The right end of the rear range forms
a higher hip-roofed extension of c.1830. The wall facing right is in header
bond, with red quoins and dentil eaves course, and contains a wide 2-storey
canted bay window with 16-pane sashes and a dentil cornice. Interior not frae
inspected. A clunch rubble wall, partly with a stepped brick coping, runs from
the right end of the house around the rear of a walled garden, which is also
partly enclosed by the The Old Barn (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SU5825794015

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.