This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6471 / 51°38'49"N
Longitude: -1.1695 / 1°10'10"W
OS Eastings: 457556
OS Northings: 194581
OS Grid: SU575945
Mapcode National: GBR 90D.R3W
Mapcode Global: VHCY8.PV2Q
Entry Name: Bishop's Court
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047846
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248132
Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Dorchester
Built-Up Area: Dorchester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Dorchester
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
DORCHESTER HIGH STREET
SU5794 (West side)
5/102 Bishop's Court
Farmhouse. C16/C17, remodelled and extended early C19. Rendered walls, partly
over timber framing, and some brick; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks.
L-plan, extended. 2 storeys plus attics. Symmetrical 3-window early-C19 rendered
front has central 6-panel door, with ornamental overlight, and 16-pane sashes. A
delicate wrought-iron verandah runs across the front. The steep-pitched hipped
roof returns to right, and the end wall has leaded casements and a 5-canted bay
window with wooden pilaster mullions and crenellation. An entrance canopy,
further to the rear has similar decoration. Earlier range, parallel to front
range, has a half-hipped gable to left and a clustered ridge stack. Interior not
inspected but noted as containing remains of an L-shaped timber-framed house,
possibly dating from a rebuilding recorded in 1552. Reputed to be on site of
Bishop's Palace, destroyed at Reformation.
Listing NGR: SU5755694581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings