History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grace's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6405 / 51°38'25"N

Longitude: -1.1029 / 1°6'10"W

OS Eastings: 462173

OS Northings: 193903

OS Grid: SU621939

Mapcode National: GBR B20.3Z5

Mapcode Global: VHCYH.T1S6

Entry Name: Grace's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248034

Location: Berrick Salome, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Berrick Salome

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Berrick Salome

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Benson

Listing Text

BERRICK SALOME

SU6293
10/5
Grace's Farmhouse


II

Farmhouse, now house. Early/mid C17, altered C18 and extended C19. Colourwashed
rubble and brick dressings; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 2-unit plan
with double rear wing, extended. 2 storeys plus attics. 3-window front has
C18/C19 windows and no entrance, the small central windows lighting cupboards in
line with stack. Present entrance in double-gabled return to left, the rear part
of which contains a canted bay window and is a C19 infill of the L-plan. Rear
includes the M-roofed earlier rear wing. Roof of main range has large central
stack with renewed shafts. Interior: central stack has 5 brick fireplaces,
including 3 with Tudor arches in chamfered rectangular recesses; those at first
floor have panelled overmantels with brick cornices. Open-well stair in rear
wing has pierced splat balusters, knob finials, pendants and a roll-moulded
handrail. Original half of main roof has an arch-braced collar truss, 2 rows of
butt purlins and 3 rows of wind braces (2 above and one below purlins). There
are some C17 panelled doors (one dated 1655), 2 corbels dated 1663 and a beam
with double-ovolo moulding.


Listing NGR: SU6217393903

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.