History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Berrick Salome, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6409 / 51°38'27"N

Longitude: -1.1061 / 1°6'21"W

OS Eastings: 461953

OS Northings: 193950

OS Grid: SU619939

Mapcode National: GBR B20.34S

Mapcode Global: VHCYH.S03W

Entry Name: Lower Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248039

Location: Berrick Salome, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Berrick Salome

Built-Up Area: Berrick Salome

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Berrick Salome

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Benson

Listing Text

BERRICK SALOME

SU69SW
4/10
18/07/63

Lower Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Lower
Berrick Farmhouse)

GV II

Large farmhouse. Probably C15, extended and remodelled c.1600. Coursed clunch
rubble with brick dressings; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 3-unit
through-passage plan with rear wing and stair tower. 2 storeys plus attics.
5-window front, with moulded brick plinth and 4 gables, has 2 entrances,
segmental-arched C19 sashes to left and centre, and 2-light renewed casements,
to right and at first floor. Left doorway has a projecting brick surround with a
chamfered Tudor arch, recessed spandrels and a moulded cornice. Right doorway
retains a moulded cornice over a C19 segmental arch. Roof has large renewed
stacks to right of centre and at left end. Right end wall returning to rear wing
is double gabled with one original wood-mullioned gable window. Rear has three
2-light brick-mullion windows with labels; plus some wooden casements. Hipped
roofed single-storey bay against left end has a blocked light with label, at the
rear and may have been higher. Interior: back-to-back open fireplaces;
intersecting chamfered beams; timber-framed internal walls; open-well stair,
with very large turned pine balusters and knob finials, rising to attics. Roof
has heavy curved windbraces and, between the 2 right bays, there is a C15
arch-braced collar truss springing from octagonal feet, with curved upper
struts. Probably a timber-framed 2-bay open hall.


Listing NGR: SU6195393950

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.