History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Toll House and Attached Churchyard Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.643 / 51°38'34"N

Longitude: -1.1648 / 1°9'53"W

OS Eastings: 457888

OS Northings: 194132

OS Grid: SU578941

Mapcode National: GBR 90F.SDK

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.RYKV

Entry Name: The Toll House and Attached Churchyard Wall

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Last Amended: 14 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047862

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248070

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER HIGH STREET
SU5794 (East side)
5/41 The Toll House and attached
18/07/63 churchyard wall
(Formerly listed as Turnpike
Cottage)

GV II

Toll house, now office. Early C19. Brick with rubbed-brick arches, on a
limestone ashlar plinth; old plain-tile and Welsh-slate roofs. Plan has a half
octagon breaking forward from a rectangular section, plus a rear outshut. One
storey. Front has a central doorway with a stone pedimented canopy on carved
brackets and a sash door; 12-pane sashes in canted sides are set within recesses
with cambered arches. Leaded casements, in end walls of rectangular section, are
set within segmental-arched recesses. Hipped roof has a central octagonal brick
stack. Slated outshut has further leaded casements and plank door. Inscriptions
on plinth record several floods, the earliest 1823. Interior not inspected. C17,
or earlier, churchyard wall runs approx. 35 metres. to left and 1 metre to
right. It is of large limestone ashlar blocks with later brick coping.


Listing NGR: SU5788894132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.