History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbey Guest House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dorchester, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6438 / 51°38'37"N

Longitude: -1.1649 / 1°9'53"W

OS Eastings: 457880

OS Northings: 194216

OS Grid: SU578942

Mapcode National: GBR 90F.SD8

Mapcode Global: VHCY8.RYJ8

Entry Name: Abbey Guest House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1047864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248074

Location: Dorchester, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Dorchester

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dorchester

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Dorchester on thames

Listing Text

DORCHESTER HIGH STREET
SU5794
5/45 (East side)
18/07/63 Abbey Guest House

GV II*

Monastic guest house, now museum and tea room. Late C15. Limestone rubble and
timber framing with plaster and brick infill; old plain-tile roof with brick
stacks. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys. Rubble front has 2 entrances and, to left and
centre, tall leaded casements, those at ground floor with labels. Windows in
right bay have C18/C19 segmental arches, but a blocked original window retains
the trefoiled heads of 2 lights with recessed spandrels. The right end of the
wall has the left jamb and springing stone of an arched doorway. Roof has a
lateral stack, to left, and a ridge stack, to right. Ends and rear are timber
framed in large panels with a full-length rear jetty on curved brackets. Rear
has herringbone brick infill at ground floor, leaded casements with ogee
mullions, and a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Right gable wall has a
timber-framed staircase addition. Interior: C17 oak panelling; remains of a rear
gallery; clasped-purlin roof with queen strut trusses and arched windbraces. The
building was converted to a school in 1652.


Listing NGR: SU5788094216

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.