This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5884 / 51°35'18"N
Longitude: -1.196 / 1°11'45"W
OS Eastings: 455797
OS Northings: 188034
OS Grid: SU557880
Mapcode National: GBR 914.BG3
Mapcode Global: VHCYN.7B2N
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047885
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248742
Location: South Moreton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: South Moreton
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
SOUTH MORETON CHURCH LANE
SU5588 (West side)
16/129 Church of St. John the
Church. c.1240 south aisle; C14 nave; much restored C19 with C19 east wall to
aisle and part rebuilding of east end nave. Render, on flint and stone mixture,
with stone dressings; old plain-tile double-depth roof. Plan: continuous nave
and chancel with south aisle. C19 porch to left. Render, probably on brick; old
plain-tile gabled roof with shaped bargeboards. 2-centre archway with quatrefoil
spandrels, 2-centre arched doorway with chamfered surround. Plank door with
wrought iron hinges. Trefoil topped lancet to left, and lancet to right of
porch. 2 paired lancets with flat heads and hood moulds to centre. 3-light
Perpendicular tracery window with flat head and hood would to right. Right
return: coursed squared sandstone. Reset early C14 window of 3-light
intersecting tracery to left. 3-light C19 window of complex tracery to right.
Rear: C19 vestry to left of centre. C19 paired lancet window to left. C14 paired
lancet window to right of centre. Blocked 2-centre arched doorway to right. Left
return: blocked reset Romanesque doorway to left. 3-light reticulated tracery
window to left. C19 round window with complex tracery to right. C19 bellcote to
right gable end. C19 arch braced collar truss roof on mainly C19 recarved stone
corbels. Arched piscina to south aisle. Arcade of 5 arches between nave and
aisle of 2-centred arches, except segmental 2-centred arch to centre. C19 stone
pulpit and font.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.502-4. Buildings of England: Berkshire,
Listing NGR: SU5579788034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings