This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.611 / 51°36'39"N
Longitude: -1.2509 / 1°15'3"W
OS Eastings: 451966
OS Northings: 190506
OS Grid: SU519905
Mapcode National: GBR 90P.VZN
Mapcode Global: VHCYF.8RJW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 14 June 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248617
Location: Didcot, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX11
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Didcot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Didcot All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
DIDCOT LYDALLS ROAD
SU5190 (North side)
Church of All Saints
Church. C12, chancel rebuilt and south aisle added c.1340, C15 alterations, C19
north aisle, vestry, south porch and steeple. Limestone uncoursed rubble with
stone dressings; lead roof to nave and south aisle; slate roof to north aisle;
old plain-tile roof to chancel; shingle hanging and roof to tower. Aisled 3-by
nave, chancel and west tower. C19 open timber-framed porch on stone base, with
gabled old plain-tile roof to south aisle centre. Double plank door to 2-centre
arched doorway. 3-light window of reticulated tracery with segmental head to
right. Paired lancet to left with couchettes to segmental head. 3-light window
of reticulated tracery with segmental head to right return of south aisle.
Trefoil-topped doorway with 2-centre arched hood with foliate ends to centre of
chancel. 2-light plate tracery window to left. 2-light windows of reticulated
tracery to right and rear of chancel, 3-light window of reticulated tracery to
east end. 3-light window of rectilinear tracery to west end. C19 reticulated
tracery windows to north aisle. Broach spire to tower to left which rises from
south aisle roof. Reset headstones to wails. Interior: C19 and C20 roofs. C19
fittings to chancel including stone reredos, altar rail, and choir stalls.
2-centred chancel arch with hood-mould. C15 south arcade of 2-centred arches on
cluster and octagonal columns. C19 north arcade of 2-centred arches on cluster
columns. Tudor-arched doorway to left of chancel arch, to stairs to rood loft.
Paired trefoiled lancet opening above head of stairs. Romanesque round stone
font on octagonal stepped base. Purbeck marble effigy of mitred abbot with
remains of trefoil canopy to head and animal to feet, of c.1290 to south aisle.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.3, 1923, p.473-475; Buildings of England: Berkshire,
Listing NGR: SU5196690506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings