This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7497 / 51°44'58"N
Longitude: -0.9824 / 0°58'56"W
OS Eastings: 470346
OS Northings: 206158
OS Grid: SP703061
Mapcode National: GBR B0T.BFJ
Mapcode Global: VHDVF.X9J0
Entry Name: The Almshouse
Listing Date: 24 April 1951
Last Amended: 16 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1047958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248510
Location: Thame, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX9
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Thame
Built-Up Area: Thame
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Thame St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
THAME HIGH STREET
SP7006SW (North-east side)
8/81 No.69 (The Almshouse)
24/04/51 (Formerly listed as No.69 (The
Almshouse, converted to 4 dwellings. c.1555 for Lord Williams of Thame, C19
alterations. Large timber-framing, with tension braces to first floor, having
painted brick infill; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stacks to left of centre,
and to centre. 2-storey, 7-window range at right angles to street. Ribbed doors
to left and right with C19 open porches. C20 sash door to left of centre. Plank
door to right of centre. 3-light wood casements to ground and first floor right
and right of centre. Perpendicular lancets to ground and first floor left.
2-light wood casement to ground floor left of centre. 4-light casement to ground
floor centre. 2 gabled half-dormers to left of centre having 3-light wood
mullion and transom windows. Rear, to Church Road: two 2-light casements to
ground floor right; single-light casements to first floor, except 2-light
casement to right. Left return, to High Street: plank door to right. C19 bay
window to left with wood mullion and transom windows. Jetty to first floor. Wood
oriel bay window to first floor centre having wood mullion and trnasom windows,
hipped plain-tile roof. Queen post roof truss to gable. C19 shaped bargeboards
to gable. Interior not inspected. History: the Almshouse was founded by Lord
Williams of Thame.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1979, p.815).
Listing NGR: SP7034606158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings