This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.688 / 51°41'16"N
Longitude: -1.143 / 1°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 459336
OS Northings: 199150
OS Grid: SU593991
Mapcode National: GBR 901.5TX
Mapcode Global: VHCY3.4TLV
Entry Name: Chiselhampton House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 19 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248365
Location: Stadhampton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stadhampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stadhampton with Chiselhampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU5999 (East side)
18/07/63 Chiselhampton House
(Formerly listed as
Chiselhanpton Lodge with
stables and coach house.
Country house. 1768 by Samuel Dowbiggin for Charles Peers. Brick in Flemish bond
with limestone ashlar dressings; 3 storeys plus basement. Symmetrical 3-window
front has an ashlar plinth, a ground-floor sill band and a first-floor storey
band. The deep entablature breaks forward slightly in the centre over 2 pairs of
Ionic pilasters, which rise from the storey band, and has a triangular pediment
containing the Peers arms. The entablature stops just short of the angles where
breaks are marked by rusticated quoins rising from the sill band. The 12-pane
sashes (6-pane at second floor) have moulded architraves and, at first floor, a
central triangular pediment with straight cornices in the outer bays. The stone
porch with 2 Greek Doric columns in antis is of c.1820. The 3-window return
walls have pairs of 2-storey canted bay windows with similar sashes; to left the
bays are now linked, to right the ground-floor windows have been covered. The
plain 5-window garden front has a central stone doorway above a flight of steps.
3 lead hopper heads are inscribed "CP 1768". The hipped roof is concealed behind
a plain parapet which replaced a balustrade. Interior: bow-ended 3-storey stair
hall has a sweeping canilevered staircase with turned balusters and is lit by a
glazed dome. Drawing room has canted ends and a white marble fireplace with
Doric columns and a central carved panel.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VII, p.7; A. Oswald: "Chiselhampton House", Country
Life, Vol,ll5, 1954, pp.216-9; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.542).
Listing NGR: SU5933699150
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings