This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6879 / 51°41'16"N
Longitude: -1.189 / 1°11'20"W
OS Eastings: 456156
OS Northings: 199099
OS Grid: SU561990
Mapcode National: GBR 900.07B
Mapcode Global: VHCY2.BTRZ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048056
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248243
Location: Marsh Baldon, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX44
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Marsh Baldon
Built-Up Area: Marsh Baldon
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marsh Baldon with Toot Baldon and Nuneham Courtenay
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU5699 HARSH SALOON BALDON LANE
10/6 Church of St. Peter
Church. C14 and C15, north aisle late C18 rebuilt 1890 by Micklethwaite and
Somers Clarke who restored the church. Rendered limestone rubble and limestone
ashlar; plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle and vestry, west tower and
south porch. Chancel has a Tudor-arched 3-light east window with ogee tracery,
and to south 2 more C15 windows of different design, one 4 centred, the other
pointed segmental. The nave has a square-headed C14 window and a single-light
ogee-headed window. The timber-framed south porch may be C14 but was repaired in
1589. It shelters a shouldered doorway, with a Romanesque mass dial set in the
tympanum, containing an old studded plank door. The C14 tower has a 2-light west
window with reticulated tracery, ogee-headed belfry openings, and becomes
octagonal near the top with large corbels. The north aisle has ogee-headed
windows of 2 and 3-lights. Interior: chancel has an elaborate cusped C15 piscina
and sedilia formed from extensions of the window recesses. To north a C15 window
opens into the north aisle. Nave has a simple 4-bay north arcade of 1890.
Earlier roofs have C19 boarding; north aisle roof has braced collar trusses.
Plastered tympanum above chancel step has a hatchment on its east face. Fittings
include a fine Jacobean oak pulpit with double-arched carved panels and a canopy
with pendants. East and south-east windows of chancel contain much C14 and C15
stained glassy 2-light window in nave of 1902 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Large
painting, in a Gothick niche at east end of north aisle, by Pompeo Battoni after
Guido Reni's "The Annunciation", was formerly in the Chapel of Corpus Christi
College, Oxford, and was presented in 1794 by Sir Christopher Willoughby.
Monuments include a brass inscription and shield to John Danvers (died 1616),
and a large white marble Baroque wall monument to Anna Pollard (died 1701) with
barley-twist columns, Corinthian capitals, and a swan-neck pediment supporting
cherubs and a cartouche of arms. 2 late C18 Gothick wall tablets erected by Sir
Christopher Willoughby. The sanctuary floor contains various C17 and C18
(V.C.H,1 Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.45. Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp,698-9).
Listing NGR: SU5615699099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings