History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beauforest House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6645 / 51°39'52"N

Longitude: -1.1213 / 1°7'16"W

OS Eastings: 460867

OS Northings: 196559

OS Grid: SU608965

Mapcode National: GBR 908.R8V

Mapcode Global: VHCY9.JF1B

Entry Name: Beauforest House

Listing Date: 18 July 1963

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 248274

Location: Newington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Newington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Newington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stadhampton

Listing Text

NEWINGTON A329
SU6096 (West side)
15/37 Beauforest House
18/07/63

GV II

Rectory, now house. c.1500, late C18 and c.1800. Limestone ashlar and clunch
rubble with some rendering; old plain-tile roofs with brick stacks. L-plan. 2
storeys. Symmetrical 5-window ashlar front, with storey band, cornice and
parapet has a central doorway with pilasters, a triangular pediment and a
delicate fanlight. 12-pane sashes contain much original glass. Hipped roof.
Right end is bowed with 3 sashes at each floor, the lower windows 5 panes deep.
Coursed clunch bay to rear has tripartite sashes with "C.M. CLOZIER 1774" on a
flat arch. Lower range to extreme rear is partly rubble with brick dressings and
partly early C20 brick probably replacing timber framing; there is a wooden
bellcote on the roof. A subsidiary range extends to right and timber-framed
range formerly extended to left. Interior: main rooms have delicate plaster
cornices and early C19 fireplaces. Central stair hall has an open-well stair
with ramped handrail. Ground floor of earlier rear range has intersecting
moulded beans of triangular section and broad chamfered and stopped joists,
probably of about 1500.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.716).


Listing NGR: SU6088196476

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.