This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6701 / 51°40'12"N
Longitude: -1.2805 / 1°16'49"W
OS Eastings: 449850
OS Northings: 197063
OS Grid: SU498970
Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.72G
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.R9D0
Entry Name: Borough Buildings Including Guildhall, Roysse's School and Gateway at West End of Guildhall
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048109
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250265
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames
Built-Up Area: Abingdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/09/2012
SU 4997 1/149
Borough Buildings including Guildhall,
Roysse's School and Gateway at west end
L-shaped block, east end of west wing of which was on site of chapel of St John's Hospital. East side modern, modern external staircase on west side. Old portion includes:-
Guildhall on ground floor, at one time used as court room. Partly of C15 origin but panelling recently stripped, columns removed and the whole restored and modernised. Raised one storey in 1733 to give room converted to:-
Council Chambers 1759.
Committee Room, C18 with good window.
Roysse's School 1563. Originally part of St John's Hospital. C16 timber framed, with C17-C18 panelling and later plaster ceiling, vaulted, divided into panels by flowers and fruit swags. Modern Armorial stained glass. Repaired 1911. Modern cases at dais end hold town plate.
Listing NGR: SU4985097066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings