This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6702 / 51°40'12"N
Longitude: -1.2793 / 1°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 449938
OS Northings: 197067
OS Grid: SU499970
Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.7DB
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.S81Z
Entry Name: 8 and 9, Abbey Close
Listing Date: 10 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048112
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250271
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon
Civil Parish/community: Abingdon on Thames
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
752 ABBEY CLOSE
SU 4997 1/154 Nos. 8 and 9
Formerly Nos. 22 & 22A. Parts dated 1640, main section of mid-C18
origin. Rough rendered. Right hand section of No. 8 is of two storeys,
gabled, two casement windows. Middle section has early C19 fenestration,
one window each storey, flush frame with moulded cornice. Main building
of three storeys, and cellars. Two gables to road. No. 9 has three sash
windows, one to each storey. No. 8 has an early C19 two light sash
in a wood frane and a two storey canted bay of three lights, glazing
bars. Cellar windows. No. 9 includes a portion of the premises to
the left (No. 10) with a single sash window above a six panel door
(two panels glass) flanked by narrow lights in a flood architrave.
Flat hood on carved brackets.
Nos. 7 to 11 (consec) form a group
Listing NGR: SU4994097064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings