This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.597 / 51°35'49"N
Longitude: -1.3366 / 1°20'11"W
OS Eastings: 446046
OS Northings: 188891
OS Grid: SU460888
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZF.YNX
Mapcode Global: VHCYK.S472
Entry Name: Jesus Chapel and Attached House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250094
Location: East Hendred, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: East Hendred
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
EAST HENDRED CHAPEL SQUARE
20/56 Jesus Chapel and attached
(Formerly listed as Old Chapel
Chapel, now village hall, and attached priest's house, now house. Early C15
chapel, late C15 priest's house. Chapel: ashlar stone plinth; ashlar stone; old
plain-tile roof. 3-bay chapel. C20 plank door to basket-arched doorway with
moulded surround to west end. 2-light stone mullion window with arch-topped
lights above. 3-light rectilinear tracery window with hood-mould to east end.
2-light stone mullion window with cusped lights and hood mould to right of south
elevation. Interior: 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof with curved windbraces.
C15 screen. West end floored. House: painted brick to ground floor;
close-studded timber-framing with rendered infill to first floor centre and
right; render, probably on timber-framing to first floor left; old plain-tile
roof; brick end stack to left, internal stack to rear right. 2-storey, 3-window
range. Plank doors to left and right of centre. Irregular fenestration of
casements. Right return: brick to ground floor; close-studded timber-framing to
first floor with rendered infill, and arched brace to left. Queenpost roof truss
to gable end. Left return: queenpost roof truss with stone rubble infill to
gable end. Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p134; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, p294)
Listing NGR: SU4604688893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings