This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5921 / 51°35'31"N
Longitude: -1.3784 / 1°22'42"W
OS Eastings: 443156
OS Northings: 188319
OS Grid: SU431883
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZL.0BM
Mapcode Global: VHCYK.274V
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250047
Location: Ardington, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Ardington
Built-Up Area: Ardington
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
ARDINGTON CHURCH STREET
SU4388 (South side)
17/7 Church of The Holy Trinity
Church. C12 nave; C13 chancel, side chapels, and north tower; C14 north porch;
C19 restoration of 2 stages: tower refaced and spire added by Joseph Clarke
c.1856; nave lengthened, south aisle and north chapel rebuilt, and chancel
decorated by Somers Clarke c.1887. Roughcast to nave and chancel, probably on
coursed squared stone; coursed squared stone to north chapel and tower; stone
slate roof. 4-bay nave with south aisle chancel with side chapels, and north
tower plan. North side: gabled porch to left of nave with plank double outer
doors to 2-centre archway. Romanesque doorway with studded plank door to church.
Romanesque lancet to centre of nave. Y-tracery window to right of nave. C19
lancets and 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to north chapel. 2-light
stone mullion window with hood mould to chancel. West window; 4-light
intersecting tracery. East window: 3-light rectilinear tracery. South side: C19
paired lancets, except C19 four-light stone mullion and transom window to right
of aisle and possibly reset Y-tracery window to right of centre of aisle. Tower:
2-light reticulated tracery window to north face of tower; broach spire.
Interior: C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with 2 rows of
windbraces. C19 wood reredos with triptych. Walls and roof of chancel have C19
stencil decoration. C19 choir stalls and organ case. 2-centred chancel arch of 3
orders on columns. C19 screen to chancel with wrought-iron gates. Nave: 8-bay
arch-braced collar-truss roof. C17 hexagonal wood pulpit to left of chancel
arch. South aisle arcade of four 2-centre arches. Basket-arch to south aisle
chapel on corbels, that to right having green-man carving. Monument in nave of
kneelinq female figure in marble by E.H. Baily.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, pp66-7; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924,
Listing NGR: SU4315688319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings