History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bayllols Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Harwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.601 / 51°36'3"N

Longitude: -1.2912 / 1°17'28"W

OS Eastings: 449186

OS Northings: 189366

OS Grid: SU491893

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.JD0

Mapcode Global: VHCYL.K1Q0

Entry Name: Bayllols Manor

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048205

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249981

Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Harwell

Built-Up Area: Harwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/08/2012


SU4989
9/118
25/10/51


HARWELL
HIGH STREET
(West side)
Bayllols Manor


(Formerly listed as Middle Farmhouse and Barn)


(Formerly listed as Kings Manor)


GV II


Manor house, now house. 3-bay range, now forming cross-wing to left, of c.1280;
hall and 4-bay cross-wing to right of c.1365; hall floored in 1589; some later
alterations. Brick plinth; tension-braced large timber-framing with roughcast
infill; old plain-tile complex roof with gabled cross-wings to left and right,
Massive brick ridge stack to left of centre and other brick stacks. Double-ended
hall house plan. Single storey and attic; 2-bay central range with 2-storey
cross-wings to left and righ. Mid C14 porch to left of centre with ogee-headed
wood archway and gabled roof having cusped bargeboards. 2-centre arched doorway
with mid C14 plank studded door. Sash door to right of centre with probably C19
open gabled porch. Irregular fenestration of 3-light C19 casements. Gabled
dormer to right of centre. Interior: crown-post roofs to cross-wings. Base-cruck
central truss to original hall, with embattled cross-beam having crown-post
above. C19 winder staircases to left and right of centre. Original 2-centre wood
arched doorways to screens passage. Moulded brackets beneath 3 beams carrying
1589 floor of hall, one bracket is dated. Massive open fireplace to dining room,
farmer hall, with wood bressumer. History: probably owned by the Bayllol (or
Baillol) family from c.1200-1350, Owned by Brounz family from c.1350 to 1437,
and then passed by descent until bought by William Waynflete, Bishop of
Winchester in 1484.
("Three Medieval Farmhouses in Harwell" by J.M. Fletcher in "Berkshire
Archaeological Journal", Vol 62, 1965-6, p45-69)


Listing NGR: SU4918689366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.