History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cruck Barn Approximately 40 Metres East of Bayllols Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6011 / 51°36'3"N

Longitude: -1.2905 / 1°17'25"W

OS Eastings: 449236

OS Northings: 189372

OS Grid: SU492893

Mapcode National: GBR 7ZH.JKH

Mapcode Global: VHCYL.L03Y

Entry Name: Cruck Barn Approximately 40 Metres East of Bayllols Manor

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249983

Location: Harwell, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX11

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Harwell

Built-Up Area: Harwell

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Steventon

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/08/2012


SU4989
9/120
24/11/66


HARWELL
HIGH STREET
(West side)
Cruck barn approx. 40 metres E of Bayllols Manor


(Formerly listed as Cruck barn approx. 40 metres E of King's Manor)


(Formerly listed as: Barn on south side of Talbot's Lane at Middle Farm)


GV II*


Barn. c.1365 with later alterations. Coursed stone rubble plinth with red brick
to top; weatherboarding on timber-framing; old plain-tile roof, half-hipped to
right. 4-bay range, probably truncated from 6-bay range. Plank double doors to
left and opposing plank double doors to rear. Interior: 4 bays of arch-braced
base cruck construction with 2 rows of windbraces. History: the farmstead was
owned by the Bayllol (or Baillol) family from c.1200-1350. The Brounz family
owned it from c.1350-1484, The far&stead was bought by William Waynflete, Bishop
of Winchester in 1484.
(Crucks in the West Berkshire and Oxford Region, by J. Fletcher in Oxoniensia,
Vol 33, 1968, p71-88); Three Medieval Farmhouses in Harwell, by J.M. Fletcher in
Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 62, 1965, p45-69)


Listing NGR: SU4923689372

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.