This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6282 / 51°37'41"N
Longitude: -1.302 / 1°18'7"W
OS Eastings: 448413
OS Northings: 192385
OS Grid: SU484923
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z3.TXX
Mapcode Global: VHCYD.DB1N
Entry Name: Milton Manor Cottage and Milton Manor House
Listing Date: 6 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048220
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250020
Location: Milton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Milton
Built-Up Area: Didcot
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Milton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MILTON HIGH STREET
SU4892 (West side)
8/157 Milton Manor House and Milton
08/08/52 Manor Cottage
Manor house, with attached kitchen and brewhouse range, part converted to
dwelling. c.1670, for Paul Calton Senior; with wings, kitchen and brewhouse
range added c.1776 by Stephen Wright for Bryant Barrett. Red brick; rendered
quoins and pilasters; C20 plain-tile hipped roof to centre block; slate hipped
roofs to wings. Basement, 3-storey, 5-window range to centre with 2-storey,
3-bay wings to left and right. Centre block; 4-pane windows to basement. Flight
of steps with wrought-iron balustrade to ground floor centre approaching sash
door with fanlight and wood boric pilaster surround with open pediment above.
Doric rendered pilasters between bays to ground floor. 12-pane unhorned sashes
to ground floor with flat brick arches. Stone cornice between ground and first
floors. Composite giant-order pilasters between bays to first and second floors,
with fleur-de-lys medallions at first floor level. 12-pane unhorned sashes to
first floor with stone floating cornices. 9-pane unhorned sashes to second floor
with flat brick arches, Rendered dentil cornice to eaves, Wings to left and
right have wider central bays, with 12-pane unhorned sashes to ground and first
floors of central bays. Round-headed recesses to ground floors of flanking bays.
Round-headed niches to first floors of flanking bays. Doric rendered pilasters
between bays to ground and first floors. Stone dentil cornice and plain parapet
to eaves. Rear: identical to front, except angled bays to ends of wings with
sash windows to angles and plain brick to cardinal fronts. Interior: cantilever
wood open-well staircase from basement to attic at rear of main block. C17
richly carved wood fireplace surround to Hall. Mid C17 plaster ceiling, to
Drawing Room of compartments and oval panels with oak and bay-leaf decoration in
John Webb-style. 0vermantel to fireplace from Gunnersbury Park. Dining Room
redecorated far Bryant Barrett, with fielded panelling, and having 2 serving
alcoves. Chinese wall paper to Chinese bedroom and dressing room to first floor
of main block. South wing contains Strawberry-Hill-Gothick Library and Roman
Catholic chapel. Library has ogee-headed book cases and fireplace surround.
Chapel has "gothick" strapwork to walls and roved ceiling with pendant bosses,
C14 English stained glass from Steventon Church, and C17 and C18 Flemish stained
glass. Attached kitchen and brewhouse range. Red brick; old plain-tile hipped
roof; brick ridge stacks to left and right of centre. Single storey and attic;
9-bay range. 1:7:1. 7-bay arcade to centre with doors and casements to rear. End
bays have thermal windows to round-arched recesses. Six C20 flat-roofed dormers.
Interior not inspected but noted as retaining many original features. History;
built by the Calton family. William III is reputed to have stayed at Milton on
11th December 1688, while his troops were quartered at Abingdon. Tsar Peter the
Great is also reputed to have stayed to discuss naval matters with Admiral
Benbow. Bryant Barrett bought the house on 5th October 1764, for £10,000 and
began a programme of extension and improvements.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p178-9; Milton Manor House. Oxfordshire
by S. Mockler, undated; The Manor House, Milton, Berkshire by A. Oswald, in
Country Life, 1948, December 17, p1274-1277; and December 24, p1330-1333)
Listing NGR: SU4841392385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings