History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Wootton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7092 / 51°42'32"N

Longitude: -1.3122 / 1°18'43"W

OS Eastings: 447622

OS Northings: 201382

OS Grid: SP476013

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y3.YW6

Mapcode Global: VHCY0.69NL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048269

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249828

Location: Wootton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wootton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wootton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

WOOTTON
SP4701
15/151 Church of St. Peter
09/02/66
GV II
Church. Early C14: restored C15, C18 and in 1932. Coursed and uncoursed
limestone rubble: rendered west wall. Gabled old tile nave roof and stone slate
chancel roof. Nave and chancel with north chapel and vestry. Early C14 two-light
Decorated east window: corner buttresses. South side of chancel has C13
two-light Y-tracery window and splayed light: mid C18 north chapel has similar
C13-style window. North side of nave has 2 medieval and 2 C19 buttresses
flanking late C15 three-light cinquefoil-headed window. Late C19 north vestry
has C15-style door and window. South side of nave: late C15 two- and 3-light
cinquefoil-headed windows flank C17 porch which was rebuilt in 1932:
segmental-arched ovolo-moulded porch and south doors. West gable has offset
corner buttresses and C16 two-light window above late C15 three-light window
with restored mullions. Interior: reredos by Sir Ninian Comper. Early C14
ogee-headed piscina. Chancel roof designed by Rev. S.E. Cottam (c.l932). C18
segmental chancel arch. Nave has C18 ledger stone in aisle, C19 pulpit, and
memorial tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Hawkins d.1780: C18 candelabra. Medieval
(probably C15) tiles relaid in porch floor. Stained glass: east window by Kempe
commemorates Kate (d.1898) wife of Lord Berkeley who lived at Foxcombe Hall,
Boars Hill.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.313; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p,403;
Bodleian Library, MS Top Berks. C51 no.238 (early C19 drawing)).


Listing NGR: SP4762201382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.