This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6928 / 51°41'34"N
Longitude: -1.2516 / 1°15'5"W
OS Eastings: 451824
OS Northings: 199605
OS Grid: SU518996
Mapcode National: GBR 8ZQ.VRH
Mapcode Global: VHCY1.8Q54
Entry Name: Cloister and Upper Dormitory,octagon and Schoolroom
Listing Date: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249784
Location: Radley, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Radley
Built-Up Area: Radley
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Radley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
RADLEY ST. PETER'S COLLEGE
9/108 Cloister and Upper Dormitory,
Octagon and Schoolroom
Cloisters. Mid C19; 1891 by Sir T.G. Jackson. Flemish bond brick with terracotta
dressings and string course; gabled C20 tile roof; brick rear lateral stack.
Late Gothic style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range. Moulded terracotta
doorway and 2-light windows, with traceried heads and angel stops to hood moulds
on ground floor: offset buttresses and crenellated parapet. Right-angled range
to front left with similar 3-window range front and finials to 3 gables: to left
is gable end, in similar style with 3-storey bay window and 2-light windows, of
older 1849 dormitory range. Octagon, 1859, to left, of chequer brick with
pyramidal C20 tile roof: of 3 storeys; each face has 2 trefoil-headed lights
above Tudor-style stone-mullioned 2-light windows on ground and first floors. To
rear of cloister walk are 3 gabled bays of early C19 brick building with sash
windows and circular stair-turret: a small 2-storey wing with pointed windows
extends to rear of this. Late C16/early C17 barn to rear left, of heavy timber
framing with brick infill and gabled C20 tile roof: 8-bay queen-post roof. This
barn was rebuilt with additions in 1848 to form the present schoolroom.
(T.D. Raikes, Fifty Years of St. Peter's College, Radley, 1897, pp.7, 22;
Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.197).
Listing NGR: SU5182499605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings