This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7321 / 51°43'55"N
Longitude: -1.2633 / 1°15'47"W
OS Eastings: 450973
OS Northings: 203969
OS Grid: SP509039
Mapcode National: GBR 7XZ.CDZ
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.2Q0J
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048297
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249798
Location: South Hinksey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX1
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: South Hinksey
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Hinksey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012
ST. LAWRENCE ROAD
Church of St. Lawrence
(Formerly listed as: St. Lawrence's Church, St Lawrence's Road)
Church. Early/mid C13: late C15 tower: chancel rebuilt in late C18. Uncoursed
limestone rubble, coursed to chancel: tower of dressed limestone. Stone-coped
gabled stone slate roof. Chancel, nave and west tower. One-bay late C18 chancel
has round-arched leaded windows with raised key- and impost-blocks. 3-bay south
wall of nave has C13 pointed lancets (one with scratch dial) and paired lancet
with late C19 head and mullion: north wall of nave has early C14 two-light
ogee-headed window, late C19 timber and glazed porch and C17 chamfered
round-arched doorway. Tower: revealed 2-light cinquefoil-headed window above
plain chamfered 4-centred doorway to ancient studded door, cemented at base:
2-light round-arched belfry windows: stair-turret with slit light to north side.
Interior: C13 chamfered 2-centred chancel arch. Medieval rood stairs in
south-east corner of nave: squint from former rood-loft to altar above chancel
arch. 3 arches over double piscina with quatrefoil basins. C13 tub font.
Hollow-chamfered archway with moulded imposts to tower. Rood screen built in
1932, pulpit in 1936 and nave roof in 1959. Plain mid C19 and C20 wall tablets
in chancel: floor tablet to Jane Willis, d.1723, in nave floor.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.222; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.409).
Listing NGR: SP5097303969
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings