History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Helen Without, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6793 / 51°40'45"N

Longitude: -1.3048 / 1°18'17"W

OS Eastings: 448164

OS Northings: 198060

OS Grid: SU481980

Mapcode National: GBR 7YJ.LY0

Mapcode Global: VHCY6.B2K0

Entry Name: The Old Manor

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249804

Location: St. Helen Without, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: St Helen Without

Built-Up Area: Abingdon

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shippon

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Abingdon

Listing Text

ST.HELEN WITHOUT BARROW ROAD
SU49NE (South side)
Shippon
8/127 No.35 (The Old Manor)
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as The Old
Manor House, 35, Barrow Road)
GV II
House. Early C17, with probable medieval origins; C18 extensions and
refenestration of c.1900. Uncoursed limestone rubble; gabled roof, with stone
slates to front and old tiles to rear; left end stack of stone finished in brick
with oversailing courses; brick ridge stack to right (original end stack) has 3
diagonally-set flues. 2-unit with cross-wing plan. One storey and attic;
3-window range. Gable end of left cross wing: double ovolo-moulded timber lintel
over 4-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned first-floor window, and early C20
ground-floor window in similar style. 2-window range to right: ovolo-moulded
lintel over C20 door set in ovolo-moulded architrave to left: chamfered and C20
timber lintels over similar-style early C20 windows: 2 small pointed medieval
lancets left of door: two C20 gabled dormers. C17 two-light ovolo-moulded
wood-mullioned window to left gable end and one to rear: other windows of c.1900
are in similar style. C18 extensions at right angles to front and rear of right
end: of one storey and attic, uncoursed limestone rubble and gabled C20 tile
roof. Interior: room to right has stop-chamfered beam and joists, chamfered
bressumer over open fireplace, and beer cupboard door with old strap hinges and
shelf. First floor has early and mid C18 fireplaces. Cross wing: chamfered stone
fireplace, C15 wave-moulded beam; chamfered beam and moulded stone fireplace on
first floor. Attractive early C20 plank doors with large Norfolk latches.


Listing NGR: SU4816498060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.