History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in North Hinksey, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7502 / 51°45'0"N

Longitude: -1.2911 / 1°17'27"W

OS Eastings: 449036

OS Northings: 205958

OS Grid: SP490059

Mapcode National: GBR 7XR.BD7

Mapcode Global: VHCXT.K8TN

Entry Name: The Old Manor House

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048319

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249749

Location: North Hinksey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX2

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: North Hinksey

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: North Hinksey with Botley

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

NORTH HINKSEY NORTH HINKSEY LANE
SP4905 (West side)
11/74 No.20 (The Old Manor House)
09/02/66 (Formerly listed as 20, North
Hinksey Lane)
- II
House. Late C16; early C17 to left wing: restored c.1930. Left wing:
timber-framed, of 3 panels deep, with early C19 brick infill; rear wall of
timber studs with brick infill, set on high limestone rubble plinth. Late C16
front right wing: timber framing much restored c.1930; two-bay rear wall has
arch-braced posts with slighter intermediate studs and roughcast infill, set on
high limestone rubble plinth. Gabled stone slate roof; stone ashlar ridge stack
has moulded drip course. L-plan with front right wing. 2 storeys; 2-window
range. Mullioned windows of c.1930. Timber-framed porch with C20 door adjoins
right wing. Canted oriel window supported on carved bracket to rear, with
ovolo-moulded wood mullions. Interior: front room of right wing has late C16
stone fireplace with debased relief carving. Rear right room has stop-chamfered
beams and late C16 moulded stone fireplace with carved consoles to overmantle
with frieze of Tudor roses: room above has moulded stone fireplace and 2-bay
queen-post roof with clasped purlins and windbraces. Early C17 extension to
left: ground-floor room has stop-chamfered beam, chamfered stone arched
fireplace with sunk spandrels and spice cupboard. Room above has fine moulded
stone fireplace with flanking pilasters; overmantle has strapwork carving and
griffins' heads flanking arms of St. John's College. Quartered beams of fine
plasterwork ceiling have moulded cornices with pomegranite trails: 4 panels have
strapwork patterns and grape-like pendants.


Listing NGR: SP4903605958

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.