This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6683 / 51°40'5"N
Longitude: -1.3478 / 1°20'51"W
OS Eastings: 445204
OS Northings: 196814
OS Grid: SU452968
Mapcode National: GBR 7YN.833
Mapcode Global: VHCY5.LBCF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249639
Location: Marcham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Marcham
Built-Up Area: Marcham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MARCHAM CHURCH STREET
SU4596 (East side)
18/141 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C13 and C15: rebuilt, except tower, by William Fisher of Oxford in
1837. Coursed dressed limestone with ashlar dressings, except tower which is of
uncoursed limestone rubble. Gabled stone slate chancel roof, and Welsh slate
nave roof. Chancel with north chapel, wide nave and west tower. 1:5:1 bays.
Early English and Perpendicular styles: remodelled in Perpendicular Revival
style. Double-gabled east wall of chancel has 3-light Curvilinear-style window
to left of early C13 stepped three-light lancet window. Each side wall of
chancel has chamfered lancet and pointed doorway. Crenellated nave has label
moulds over 2-light and central 3-light Perpendicular-style transomed windows to
north: similar 3-light windows flank gabled south porch: very fine late
C14/early C15 south doorway is cinquefoil-headed with independent leaf
decoration in casement-moulded architrave. Early C13 three-stage west tower has
original corner buttresses, one-light bell openings, slit lights and west
lancet: unusual early C13 ashlar stair turret in north-east corner has slit
lights and quatrefoil panel in gable top. Interior: jamb shafts with bell
capitals to east window of north chapel. Early C13 archway between chancel and
north chapel has chamfered arch set on half-piers with ball flower capitals.
Bench in north chapel has C16 linenfold-carved bench end: chancel has C19 wall
tablets, and late C18 obelisk wall tablet to John Barnes, d.1782. Twin chancel
and north chapel arches to nave: communion rail, pews and altar at east end.
Early C19 pulpit, and reading desk of c.1907. Pews have C16 bench ends with
linenfold carving. Tall early C19 pedimented wall tablet to Aldworth family, mid
C19 stele tablets (one in porch), and Cothick wall tablet to Thomas Prince,
d.1823: wall tablet at west end to Thomas Hayward, d.1692. Wall brass east of
door to Edmund Fettiplace, d.1540, and wife: depicts them both kneeling at
prayer with their children. Tub-shaped stepped font is probably C13.
Perpendicular-style 8-bay roof supported on head corbels. Early C15 triple
hollow-chamfered archway to west tower room, which has quadripartite vault with
hollow-chamfered ribs on head corbels. J.C. Buckler drew interior details and
the church exterior (mainly C15) in 1819.
(Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks. C.50, Nos.106-8; Buildings of England:
Berkshire, pp.176-177; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.358-9; Victoria and Albert
Museum, South Kensington, London has drawings in box A-170, D.1784-7; H.M.
Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978,
Listing NGR: SU4520496814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings