History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White House

A Grade II Listed Building in Marcham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6666 / 51°39'59"N

Longitude: -1.3444 / 1°20'39"W

OS Eastings: 445436

OS Northings: 196624

OS Grid: SU454966

Mapcode National: GBR 7YN.GWV

Mapcode Global: VHCY5.NC3R

Entry Name: White House

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249648

Location: Marcham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Marcham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Garford

Listing Text

MARCHAM FRILFORD ROAD
SU4596 (North side)
18/150 Nos.10 and 12 (White House)

GV II

Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Late C17, remodelled c.1730. Colourwashed limestone
rubble; gabled old tile roof; stone end stacks. 3-unit through-passage plan. 2
storeys; 3-window range. Carved consoles to fine early C18 flat hood with
panelled soffit above fielded 6-panelled door. Timber lintels over C19 two- and
3-light casements: early C18 bay added to right is of similar materials with
timber lintel over C20 door and windows, and moulded wood cornice. Rear: C20
porch adjoins service wing to right of limestone rubble with C20 tile roof,
stone gable end external stack and outshut to left. C20 extension to left.
Interior of No.12 to left: left room has cased beam and chamfered bressumer over
open fireplace with adjacent newel stairs: early C18 plank partition with
2-panelled doors divides this room from parlour on right, with panelled
shutters, window seat and china closet of c.1730, Blocked 2-light
diamond-mullioned stair-light to left. First floor has cased beam, two ribbed
doors and panelled door. Attic has collar truss and two closed trusses.


Listing NGR: SU4543696624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.