History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

College Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Garford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6607 / 51°39'38"N

Longitude: -1.3873 / 1°23'14"W

OS Eastings: 442474

OS Northings: 195948

OS Grid: SU424959

Mapcode National: GBR 7YL.XQ8

Mapcode Global: VHC0P.WJY7

Entry Name: College Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249579

Location: Garford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Garford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Marcham with Garford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Garford

Listing Text

GARFORD
SU49NW
5/81 College Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Early C17: right bay truncated c.1904. Uncoursed limestone
rubble; gabled stone slate roof; stone stack finished in C20 concrete block. 3-,
now 2-unit lobby-entry plan. 2 storeys: 3-window range. Timber lintel over
central C20 plank door. Timber lintels over C20 two-light casement to right and
wood-mullioned and transomed ovolo-moulded 4-light window to left: timber
lintels over first-floor blocked central window and flanking C19 three-light
casements. Present main entry is to rear. L-shaped extension enclosing yard to
rear, built in 1904, is not of special architectural interest. Interior: room to
right has cased beam and chamfered bressumer over open fireplace; full set of
chamfered and stopped beam and joists to left. Central spiral stairs rise to
first-floor, which has ogee-stopped chamfered beams, and attic which has C17
plank doors with fittings and 5-bay collar-truss roof with butt purlins. It is
evident that the right bay of the original house was mostly demolished when the
extension of 1904 was built.


Listing NGR: SU4247495948

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.